As Black History Month comes to a close today, I wanted to share one of the more recent items we acquired for the collection. This Willie Mays card from the 1952 set was produced by the Coca-Cola Bottling Company of New York and is a difficult item to find. It is interesting to note that the other carton inserts from this series note "Collect all 10" on the bottom. When the Mays insert was issued, the note was changed to the "Collect all 11" visible at the bottom of this card.
It is also interesting to note that the Giants only played 12 night games in 1952, but they did have 7 double headers scheduled that year. Baseball has certainly changed since that time.
In 1965, Willie Mays appeared in television advertising for Coca-Cola and we produced a special print ad celebrating his MVP award at the end of that season.
Take a minute to read "Willie Mays Baseball Story" on the back of the card. 1952 was only his second year in baseball, and while he won the Rookie of the Year award in 1951, it is amazing to consider how many records he would set and what a tremendous career he would have. The card finishes with the quote, "Willie Mays' record to date proves, like Coke, 'He is as Natural!"
More on Journey
- Coca-Cola Salesman's Career in Mississippi Started During Civil Rights Movement
- From One Fan to Another: The Story Behind Unbox Therapy's Coca-Cola Cooler
- Video: A Day in the Life of Coke's In-House Art Curator
- How Italy Celebrates Carnival
- A Slice of Coca-Cola History: Beloved Kentucky Bottling Plant Reborn as Mellow Mushroom Pizzeria