Yesterday I was interviewed by Good Morning America about a Georgia man who claimed to have the secret formula for Coca-Cola. Last week, I had seen an eBay listing for a document that was being offered with a "buy it now" price for the princely sum of $15 million. While careful to indicate that he could not guarantee it was authentic, the seller had a document that he purported was a version of our secret formula. I chuckled when I saw the listing, because as you can see from the photo above, people have been claiming to know the formula for more than a century. The price does appear to have increased a little though!
Click the image above to watch the the segment from Good Morning America, but you can sleep easy and save your money. The seller does not have the secret formula for Coca-Cola. The formula is safely locked away in the Vault of the Secret Formula at the World of Coca-Cola in Atlanta.
Thanks to the millions of people who love Coca-Cola, the secret formula has a tremendous mystique in American pop culture, as was shown a few years ago when an episode on the formula aired on This American Life. This episode caused their servers to crash because of the number of hits they received. As one might expect this eBay listing created quite a bit of media interest including Good Morning America, and other media outlets have been calling for more information. My answer is always the same. The formula is safe and sound in the vault at the World of Coca-Cola in Atlanta. ^TR
More on Journey
- Ghost Signs Before They Were Ghosts: Preserving a Rare Photo Album for the Coca-Cola Archives
- The Story of Frank O'Hara's ‘Having a Coke With You’ Poem
- Honoring a Native Son: Coca-Cola Exhibit, Panel Pay Tribute to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and His Nobel Peace Prize
- Why the Coca-Cola Archives is Digitizing More than 6,000 Analog Tapes
- Disney and Coca-Cola Archivists Swap Stories on Shared History