I interviewed Dr. Jesse Lewis, the man who hired Mary Alexander as the first African American model to appear in Coca-Cola advertising in 1955. Dr. Lewis has a very long and distinguished history in advertising, with Coca-Cola interwoven throughout his story. He was Public Relations Representative for the Birmingham Coca-Cola Bottling Company when he wrote the letter above to Mary Alexander regarding her role in Coke history as it were. As I interviewed him, I wondered the same thing that I have been trying to figure out about Mary Alexander as well: What is the secret to looking so great and having so much energy at their age? As Dr. Lewis confirms in this video, it must be Coca-Cola!
More on Journey
- Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola: From Classic to New Coke and Back Again
- Coca-Cola Salesman's Career in Mississippi Started During Civil Rights Movement
- 2,000 Pieces and 28 Years Later: Life-Sized Coke Puzzle Nears Completion
- Meet Mr K: Fred Kirkpatrick, 97, Celebrates 80 Years With Coca-Cola
- Coca-Cola Named Official Soft Drink of Major League Baseball in Digital-Driven Partnership