I interviewed Dr. Jesse Lewis, the man who hired Mary Alexander as the first African American model to appear in Coca-Cola advertising in 1955. Dr. Lewis has a very long and distinguished history in advertising, with Coca-Cola interwoven throughout his story. He was Public Relations Representative for the Birmingham Coca-Cola Bottling Company when he wrote the letter above to Mary Alexander regarding her role in Coke history as it were. As I interviewed him, I wondered the same thing that I have been trying to figure out about Mary Alexander as well: What is the secret to looking so great and having so much energy at their age? As Dr. Lewis confirms in this video, it must be Coca-Cola!
More on Journey
- Sitting In and Standing Up: Unsung Heroes of Civil Rights Movement Reflect on Soda Fountain Protests
- 10 Artists, 10 Bottles and 10 Stories: Meet the Atlantans Behind World of Coca-Cola’s Newest Exhibit
- Muhtar Kent Reflects on His Coca-Cola Journey and Legacy as Company’s 15th Chief Executive
- A Slice of Coca-Cola History: Beloved Kentucky Bottling Plant Reborn as Mellow Mushroom Pizzeria
- Meet Mr K: Fred Kirkpatrick, 97, Celebrates 80 Years With Coca-Cola