The Sochi Winter Olympics may be over, but I have some Olympic trivia for you: Who made their debut at the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid as the world’s first ever ice-skating robot? That’s right, it was “Cobot!” This life-sized robot could skate with the best of them, appearing in news features with figure skating coach Gus Lussi and figure skating champion Jojo Starbuck. The Coca-Cola Archives has a “Cobot” at our off-site storage facility where I recently snapped this picture. Was anyone lucky enough to see “Cobot” in person at the 1980 Winter Olympics?
More on Journey
- Video: A Day in the Life of Coke's In-House Art Curator
- A Slice of Coca-Cola History: Beloved Kentucky Bottling Plant Reborn as Mellow Mushroom Pizzeria
- Video: Porsche Highlights Coca-Cola History in Jaw-Dropping Display
- How Coca-Cola Brands Make it to the Big (or Small) Screen
- ‘What is Coca-Cola?’ Why the Brand Has Appeared on Jeopardy! 200+ Times