The Sochi Winter Olympics may be over, but I have some Olympic trivia for you: Who made their debut at the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid as the world’s first ever ice-skating robot? That’s right, it was “Cobot!” This life-sized robot could skate with the best of them, appearing in news features with figure skating coach Gus Lussi and figure skating champion Jojo Starbuck. The Coca-Cola Archives has a “Cobot” at our off-site storage facility where I recently snapped this picture. Was anyone lucky enough to see “Cobot” in person at the 1980 Winter Olympics?
More on Journey
- Meet Canada's Top Coca-Cola Collector
- Step Inside the Walmart Museum in Bentonville, Arkansas
- 2,000 Pieces and 28 Years Later: Life-Sized Coke Puzzle Nears Completion
- From One Fan to Another: The Story Behind Unbox Therapy's Coca-Cola Cooler
- 'Blizzard' of Taste: How Fresca Lived Up to Its Tagline, Literally, for 1967 Debut in New York