On July 8, 1982, Diet Coke was introduced to the marketplace. Coca-Cola USA President Brian Dyson declared that it was "The most significant new product introduction in the entire 96 year history of The Coca-Cola Company." It was also the most carefully developed and researched product in our history at the time. 150 different graphic designs were considered before we landed on the final desired look, and you can scan through the milestones of Diet Coke's history by clicking here. Also, I always laugh when I see the photos of these very 1980s promotional items that we produced along with the launch.
More on Journey
- Rio de Janeiro: The Enchanted Kingdom of Two Carnivals
- Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola: From Classic to New Coke and Back Again
- Muhtar Kent Reflects on His Coca-Cola Journey and Legacy as Company’s 15th Chief Executive
- Ghost Signs Before They Were Ghosts: Preserving a Rare Photo Album for the Coca-Cola Archives
- Coca-Cola Named Official Soft Drink of Major League Baseball in Digital-Driven Partnership