In commenting on a recent post describing an Ida Bailey Allen display piece at The World of Coca-Cola, a reader requested the recipe for a Crystal Coca-Cola Cocktail that appears in Allen's famous booklet, When You Entertain. Here it is:
3 bottles of iced Coca-Cola. Use the 8oz. bottles today. Originally, it would have been 6.5 oz. bottles.
3 tablespoons lime juice
Combine the ingredients and transfer to an ice cube tray.Freeze for one hour, stirring occasionally. Serve in small cocktail glasses. For a garnish use mint cherries or rubyettes. Makes six servings.
Feel free to substitute a garnish of your choosing. Mint cherries could be difficul to find, and I am not sure where you will find a rubyette. As best I can determine, it is a variety of grape. It is probably one of those recipes that made perfect sense at the time, but seventy years later has lost its relevance.
I would love to hear from you if you try this recipe.
More on Journey
- A Slice of Coca-Cola History: Beloved Kentucky Bottling Plant Reborn as Mellow Mushroom Pizzeria
- How is a Famous Normal Rockwell Illustration Connected to a Coca-Cola Bottler in Virginia?
- Muhtar Kent Reflects on His Coca-Cola Journey and Legacy as Company’s 15th Chief Executive
- Meet Mr K: Fred Kirkpatrick, 97, Celebrates 80 Years With Coca-Cola
- ‘What is Coca-Cola?’ Why the Brand Has Appeared on Jeopardy! 200+ Times