In commenting on a recent post describing an Ida Bailey Allen display piece at The World of Coca-Cola, a reader requested the recipe for a Crystal Coca-Cola Cocktail that appears in Allen's famous booklet, When You Entertain. Here it is:
3 bottles of iced Coca-Cola. Use the 8oz. bottles today. Originally, it would have been 6.5 oz. bottles.
3 tablespoons lime juice
Combine the ingredients and transfer to an ice cube tray.Freeze for one hour, stirring occasionally. Serve in small cocktail glasses. For a garnish use mint cherries or rubyettes. Makes six servings.
Feel free to substitute a garnish of your choosing. Mint cherries could be difficul to find, and I am not sure where you will find a rubyette. As best I can determine, it is a variety of grape. It is probably one of those recipes that made perfect sense at the time, but seventy years later has lost its relevance.
I would love to hear from you if you try this recipe.
More on Journey
- Why the Coca-Cola Archives is Digitizing More than 6,000 Analog Tapes
- Celebrating the Champs: The Storied History of Coke's Commemorative Sports Cans (and Bottles)
- Video: Porsche Highlights Coca-Cola History in Jaw-Dropping Display
- How Italy Celebrates Carnival
- Driving Home the Message of Atlanta's Civil Rights Legacy