- 1 pkg. (18.5-ounce) yellow cake mix*
- .12 Tablespoons baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 Cup (2 to 3) mashed ripe bananas
- 2 Teaspoons lemon juice
- .33 Cups finely chopped nuts (optional)
- 2 egg whites (1/4 cup)
- 1.5 Cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- .12 Teaspoons cream of tartar or 1 tablespoon of light corn syrup
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Dash Salt
- Total Time: 1 hr 5 min
- Prep Time: 25 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- For Cake: In large mixing bowl combine mix, baking soda and eggs. Measure CocaCola, stir briskly until foaming stops, and add to batter. Blend ingredients just until moistened, then beat at high speed of electric mixer for 3 minutes, scraping bowl often. Combine mashed bananas with lemon juice. Add to cake batter with nuts. Beat 1 minute at medium speed and turn into a generously greased and lightly floured 13x9x2-inch pan. Bake at 350° about 40 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool on rack 15 minutes, remove cake from pan and turn right side up on rack to finish cooling.
- For Frosting: In top of double boiler, combine all ingredients except vanilla and beat 1 minute at high speed of electric mixer. Place over boiling water (water should not touch bottom of top part); beat on high speed about 7 minutes until frosting forms peaks when beater is raised. Remove from boiling water (for smoothest frosting, empty into large bowl). Add vanilla and continue beating on high speed until thick enough to spread, about 2 minutes. Spread on sides and top of cold banana cake.
*do not use mix with pudding added or which requires oil
**To reduce foam for accurate measurement, use
More On Journey
- ‘We Don’t Have to Know You to Feed You’: Chef G. Garvin’s Recipe for the Perfect Summer BBQ
- 3 Reasons Why We Love Street Food So Much
Chef Linton Hopkins'
- If You Can't Take the Heat, Get in the Kitchen: 5 No-Cook Recipes for Hot Days
- A Cultural Tradition: Homemade Bengalese Chai Tea