The best birthdays begin with a cake that contains favorite treats including devil's food mix, cola, chocolate chips, powdered Chocolate drink and fresh strawberries.
Note: For firmer cake, use one 16-ounce package of pound cake mix, stirring in 1/3 cup powdered chocolate drink mix along with grated orange peel. Use cola for the liquid; bake as directed.
Make 12 servings.
- 1 devil's food cake mix (18.5-ounce) (see note)
- 2 Tablespoon grated orange peel
- .5 Cup semisweet chocolate chips (about half of a 6-ounce package)
- 12 large fresh, ripe strawberries, preferably unhulled
- .5 Cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 package confectioners' sugar (16-ounce)
- 3 Tablespoon powdered chocolate drink mix such as Nestle's Quik
- 1.5 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- Total Time: 1 hr 30 min
- Prep Time: 1 hr
- Cook Time: 30 min
Heat oven to 350°F; grease 13x9x2 inch baking pan.
Cake: Prepare cake mix according to package directions, using 1 1/3 cups
Coca-Colain place of water and stirring 1 tablespoon grated orange peel in batter. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 30 minutes until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Invert cake onto wire rack cool completely. Cake may be made and stored, tightly wrapped, up to two days before decorating. Frosting: Stir chocolate chips in small heavy saucepan over very low heat until melted and smooth; remove from heat. Dip strawberries into chocolate to coat halfway, placing each berry as it is dipped on cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Refrigerate berries until ready to use. Cut cooled cake horizontally into 2 equal layers with sharp serrated knife; place bottom layer on large cookie sheet. Beat butter in large bowl with mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy; gradually beat in confectioners' sugar and chocolate drink mix until smooth. Beat in 1/3 cup of remaining Coca-Cola, remaining 1 tablespoon grated orange peel and vanilla until thoroughly blended and smooth. Spread half of frosting over bottom cake layer; top with second layer. Swirl remaining frosting over top of cake. Cut cake into 12 portions; arrange on platter. Decorate with chocolate-dipped strawberries and birthday candles, if desired.
Make 12 servings.
More on Journey
Pay Like a Boss With
Coca-Cola’s BillBoss: An Internal Innovation Story
#ICYMI: 5 Top Stories from
- Carhop To It: 5 Classic American Drive-In Restaurants
- Culinary Caravans: Food Truck Festivals Bring Fresh Eats to the Masses
- The Big Business of Beef Jerky: How a Snack Food Once Eaten by Pirates and Hunter-Gatherers Became the Darling of the Gourmet Food World