This recipe was submitted by Shanyn Silinski of the Smilin Coyote Ranch in Manitoba, Canada. Shanyn says "This is a favorite summertime treat for our family. Everyone gets every excited when they see the chickens cooking on the BBQ!"
- 2 medium roasting chickens, clean and washed
- 2 Can Coca-Cola® (drink about 1/3 out of each one so they aren't full)
- 4 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Teaspoon pepper
- Total Time: 1 hr 15 min
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr
- Wash your chickens, pat dry and cover with a thin coating of olive oil, then add salt and pepper. Set aside. Open Coca-Cola, take about 1/3 out of each can, place cans in "beer can" chicken rack or set on cookie sheet. Wrap cans in tinfoil, slide the chickens over the cans, using the drumsticks to balance them so they stand up. Cook on higher heat until skin is browned, turn heat down and roast until done. The Coca-Cola steams them from the inside, giving the meat a tender, sweet flavor – the olive oil keeps the skin from drying out and gives you a crispy contrast to the tender meat. Be VERY careful when removing from oven or BBQ as the Coca-Cola is still in the cans and will be VERY hot, and the chickens will be less 'stable' and might tip over. Pull chickens off of cans. Place chicken on table with ice cold Coca-Cola products, coleslaw, biscuits or buns and enjoy!
More on Journey
- What Do Coca-Cola, Cracker Barrel, Cake and Camouflage Have in Common? Supporting Service Members, Naturally.
- Hoops Heaven: 6 Hot Spots to Watch March Madness
- The Story of a Charleston, S.C. Restaurant and its Legendary Coca-Cola Cake
- Coca-Cola Surprises Uber VIPs in Atlanta and New Orleans with Celebrity Chefs’ Ultimate Food Pairings
- Chefs Aarón Sánchez, Roblé Ali Dish On Why Coca-Cola Complements Any Meal