- 3 Cups Vanilla Coke
- 3 pinches of salt, divided use
- 1.5 Tablespoons butter, unsalted, divided use
- 16 pecan halves
- 2 Teaspoons sugar
- 1 Pinch salt
- 1 egg, large, whole
- 3 egg whites, large
- .25 Cups skim mik
- .5 Teaspoons cinnamon (optional)
- 1 Loaf egg bread (challah), about 1 pound, sliced to (8) - 1/2" slices
- 1 Tablespoon Fat-free non-stick cooking spray, as needed
- Total Time: 55 min
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Place soda in a saucepan over medium-high heat and reduce to a little more than 1/2 cup, about 25-30 minutes. While simmering add a pinch of salt and whisk in 1/2-tablespoon butter. Simmer for 2-3 additional minutes, whisking occasionally until syrup is reduced to 1/2 cup. Remove from heat and hold syrup at room temperature. The syrup should be made just before serving, without extended holding.
- Place a small non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add pecans and stir or toss until pecans begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat, add 1 tablespoon butter and stir or toss to coat pecans. Return pan to heat and sprinkle pecans with sugar and 1 pinch of salt. Stir or toss while cooking until a light caramel forms about 2-4 minutes. Turn pecans onto a sheet pan lightly coated with cooking spray. Cool and break apart, if necessary.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together eggs, skim milk, a pinch of salt and cinnamon, if using. Set aside.
- Place a large non-stick skillet over medium heat and coat lightly with cooking spray. Dip bread in egg mixture until coated on both sides; drain excess. Cook to light golden brown on first side, about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook second side. Remove and hold warm. Repeat with remaining sliced bread.
- Serve French toast with syrup and candied pecans.
Makes 4 servings
Serving size: 2 slices French Toast, 2 tablespoons syrup, 4 candied pecan halves
More On Journey
Watch: Chef Kevin Gillespie and 'Day Off' TV Crew Visit the World of
St. Patrick's Day Recipe:
Coca-ColaLife Stout Stew with Chicken and Quinoa
- Celebrating National Grilled Cheese Month: Where to Find and How to Make the Ultimate Grilled Cheese
A Refreshing Recipe:
Coca-Colaand Coffee Granita
- Irish Potato Candy: A Philadelphia Tradition