- 2.5 Pound cut-up chicken or chicken breasts
- 3 Tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 tart apple
- 1 medium onion
- 1 Tablespoon curry powder (more for experienced palates)
- .33 Cup raisins
- 1 Cup chicken broth
- .5 Cup Coca-Cola®
- 3.5 Tablespoon flour
- 1 Cup coffee cream or undiluted evaporated milk
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- .125 Teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 Cup Celery tops
- 3 Cup Hot cooked rice
- Total Time: 1 hr 20 min
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr 5 min
- Rinse chicken and cook in boiling salted water with a few celery tops. Cover and simmer about 1 hour or until fork-tender. Drain, saving strained broth. Remove chicken from bones and cut into 1/2-inch pieces to measure about 2 1/2 cups. Melt butter in skillet. Add peeled and diced apple, thinly sliced onion and curry powder, and sauté for 5 minutes, blending well. Stir in raisins, 1 cup of the reserved chicken broth and Coca-Cola. Mix flour with the cream, stirring until smooth. Add this mixture with the salt and pepper to the onion-apple mixture. Stir and cook over low heat until thick and creamy. Taste for seasonings. Add chicken and turn into a covered container to chill overnight. Reheat in top of double boiler over hot water and serve on hot cooked rice with a selection of condiments.
Makes 6 servings.
Provide a sampling of the following condiments for sprinkling on top of each serving: grated coconut, chopped peanuts, chopped raw onion, raisins, sweet pickle relish, chutney, chow chow or lime wedges.
More on Journey
- JourneyxJourney: The Coca-Cola Company Embarks on Cross-Country Storytelling Road Trip
- What Do Coca-Cola, Cracker Barrel, Cake and Camouflage Have in Common? Supporting Service Members, Naturally.
- Nathan's Famous Turns 100: From Coney Island Hot Dog Stand to International Empire
- The Story of a Charleston, S.C. Restaurant and its Legendary Coca-Cola Cake
- Watch: Artist Makes Custom Chandeliers for Chick-fil-A Using Glass Coca-Cola Bottles