Legumes are revered around the world as a cheap source of healthy protein. But, come New Years Day, the humblest of ingredients can be said to bring wealth and prosperity.
Here, we've cooked up a dish of lentils and sausage. Pork is also symbolic of prosperity, as pigs are known for rooting forward (a Pennsylvania Dutch observation). But sausage isn't the healthiest of meals, so we've kept it in a supporting roll, rather than the star of the show. All things in moderation.
Delicata squash is sweet and, as the name suggests, delicate. Its skin is soft enough that it can be eaten when cooked, meaning no peeling is required.
The lentils and sausage portion of this recipe can be served as a single-pot meal, cutting down on dishes to clean — and that's a great way to start the new year.
- 1 Pound Italian sausage links (check your grocery store's butcher case)
- 1 delicata squash
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Cup dried, green lentils
- 1 Cup diced yellow onion
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 Teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- .5 Teaspoon dried oregano
- .5 Teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Quart stock
- Total Time: 50 min
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Carefully cleave squash in half, lengthwise, and de-seed. Slice the squash in 1/4-inch crosscuts. Season with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast in preheated 350-degree oven. Roast until golden-brown and soft, approximately 20-30 minutes. Meanwhile, heat dutch oven or lidded wok over medium heat on stove top. Place sausage in pan, turning occasionally to brown and render fat. Once lightly browned, push sausage to the side and add onion, celery and carrot, sauteing until onions become translucent, about 5 minutes. Add stock, lentils and seasonings and bring to a boil. Remove sausage and set aside. Turn heat down to a simmer, cover and cook, removing lid and stirring occasionally to release liquid, until lentils are just softened, about 30 minutes. Adjust seasoning. Add sausage to top of lentils and cook, covered for last several minutes. Slice and arrange sausages over top of lentils with sliced squash in pot. Garnish with parsley and serve.