Coca-Cola is promoting the Olympic spirit and spreading happiness across the vast Russian landscape -- by land, air and sea -- as the 35,000-mile Sochi 2014 Olympic Torch Relay enters the home stretch en route to opening ceremonies on Feb. 7. The 123-day relay -- the longest in Olympic history -- kicked off Oct. 7 in Moscow and has since reached the North Pole, plunged to the depths of the world’s deepest freshwater lake, climbed to the peak of a volcano, descended to the bottom of the world's largest diamond mine and even taken its first-ever spacewalk.
A record 14,000 torchbearers will
carry the Olympic flame along the way, and the epic activation will be supported by more than
30,000 volunteers. The flame is traveling by foot, helicopter, train, boat, snowmobile, icebreaker, jet pack, horseback,
reindeer sleigh, hot-air balloon, snowboard and other alternative means of transportation.
Coca-Cola is accompanying the relay on all segments of the route, which will reach 90 percent of Russia’s population in 83 regions. Brand ambassadors greet spectators from Coca-Cola trucks and hand out special cheering sticks, limited-edition Coca-Cola bottles and cans, flags and more. The inclusive relay is engaging all Russians, including tens of thousands of teens who are coming out to cheer and celebrate.
More than 2,000 of the 14,000 torchbearers who will carry the flame across Russia were selected through a national campaign organized by Coca-Cola, which received more than 65,000 applications and 14 million votes.
Coca-Cola is the longest continuous
supporter of the Olympic movement, with a relationship dating back to 1928. The
company has been involved with the Olympic Torch Relay since 1992.
More on Journey
- 2,000 Pieces and 28 Years Later: Life-Sized Coke Puzzle Nears Completion
- ‘Absolutely Refreshing’: Coca-Cola Launches Barrilitos Aguas Frescas, Sets Bar for New Beverage Category
- See How Coca-Cola and the Phillies Helped Pull Off a ‘Prom-posal’ to Remember
- Cold Lyrics by Hot Rappers Here! Introducing the Summer Sprite™ Cold Lyrics Series™
- 10 Artists, 10 Bottles and 10 Stories: Meet the Atlantans Behind World of Coca-Cola’s Newest Exhibit