In the "Lifestyle Advertising" gallery of the Milestones of Refreshment exhibit at The World of Coca-Cola, we selected items which represented how Coca-Cola was advertised in seven categories; Work, Sports, Music, Fashion, Family, Travel and Food. The centerpiece of the case is a large in-store display from 1933 featuring noted radio personality and cookbook author, Ida Bailey Allen.
Allen began her relationship with The Coca-Cola Company in 1932 when she wrote the book "When you Entertain - What To Do, And How." While I have already blogged about the book in an earlier post, I thought you might be interested to learn more about Allen and the display piece.
Allen was a cooking authority and pioneer in both radio and television food programing. Her first radio program began in 1928 on CBS radio and ran for many years. She was the Founder and President of the National Radio Homemakers' Club. Allen was the food editor of Good Housekeeping magazine and wrote a syndicated newspaper column called "Lets Eat" for decades. She eventually penned over 56 books on cooking and nutrition.
The window display piece was offered to our bottlers in the 1933 Bottlers' Current Advertising Price List Supplement and were sold for .49 cents and came in boxes of 10. The large window display was designed to feature items (including Coca-Cola) the proper host or hostess should always have on hand for an entertaining emergency. We had a great time buying the vintage food packaging for this display. Check it out next time you are at the World of Coca-Cola. If you can find one, I think it would be worth considerably more than .49 cents now.
More on Journey
- From One Fan to Another: The Story Behind Unbox Therapy's Coca-Cola Cooler
- Disney and Coca-Cola Archivists Swap Stories on Shared History
- Muhtar Kent Reflects on His Coca-Cola Journey and Legacy as Company’s 15th Chief Executive
- A Slice of Coca-Cola History: Beloved Kentucky Bottling Plant Reborn as Mellow Mushroom Pizzeria
- Coca-Cola Named Official Soft Drink of Major League Baseball in Digital-Driven Partnership