30 years ago during the big game, the all-time fan favorite Mean Joe Greene commercial aired while his team went on to take the victory. Last year, we did a two part (Part 1, Part 2) interview with him about the making of the commercial and he told us that the boy who starred in the commercial with him, Tommy Okun, got the actual jersey used during the filming. Did you know that you too also could have had a Mean Joe jersey? This poster, which is in the World of
One other tidbit that amazed me was when Joe told me that he was the second choice for the ad and that Roger Staubach was the first choice. As much as I liked Roger, I do not think the ad would have had the same power and impression as it did with Joe.
More on Journey
- Rhyme With Reason: Meet the Wieden+Kennedy Wordsmith Behind Coke’s Poetic Big Game Ad
- ‘A Coke For Everyone’: Brand Celebrates the ‘Wonder of Us’ in Inclusive Big Game Ad
- Markus Sebastiano Creates Artwork Commemorating Coca-Cola Northern New England’s 40th Anniversary
- 100 Days to PyeongChang: Meet Coke's 2018 Olympic Winter Games Athletes
- A Journey to Atlanta Mayor Began with a Coca-Cola Stand