As we are entering the holidays, here is a recipe that will add to the festive atmosphere. It’s actually taken from a magazine ad for Sprite, from 1966.
The ad starts with this line: “Here’s a punch that comes in loud and clear.”
1 6-ounce package lime-flavored gelatin
2 cups hot water
½ to 1 cup bottled lime juice
2 12-ounce cans frozen concentrate for limeade
90 ounces of Sprite
1 teaspoon almond extract
Dissolve gelatin in hot water. Then stir in frozen concentrate for limeade. Add lime juice.
To serve, pour into bowl over 1 ½ quarts of cracked ice. Add Sprite.
Makes 48 4-ounce servings.
If you like a little more spirit, add a fifth of vodka.
If you serve this to your guests, let me know how they like it!
More on Journey
- 10 Artists, 10 Bottles and 10 Stories: Meet the Atlantans Behind World of Coca-Cola’s Newest Exhibit
- How Italy Celebrates Carnival
- 'Blizzard' of Taste: How Fresca Lived Up to Its Tagline, Literally, for 1967 Debut in New York
- Step Inside the Walmart Museum in Bentonville, Arkansas
- Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola: From Classic to New Coke and Back Again