"May the force be with you."
Today is Star Wars day on my calendar. In a play on words from the famous phrase in the movie, May 4th becomes "May the fourth" be with you! In honor of this auspicious event, I wanted to highlight the original four Coca-Cola Star Wars glasses that were so popular when they were introduced in 1978.
The glasses were used as a cooperative promotion with Coca-Cola and Burger King. The glasses were given away with the purchase of a drink, one glass per week over a period of four weeks. The glasses featured artwork on one side and then a description of the characters on the opposite side. Burger King and Coca-Cola logos were also on the glasses. It is interesting to note that the description on the glass with Han Solo and Chewbacca features the Wookie more prominently than the swashbuckling hero.
As collectibles are concerned, you will not be able to put you kid through college selling the set of four glasses, but they are still a great item that brings back memories of the movies.
More on Journey
- Sitting In and Standing Up: Unsung Heroes of Civil Rights Movement Reflect on Soda Fountain Protests
- Video: Porsche Highlights Coca-Cola History in Jaw-Dropping Display
- Muhtar Kent Reflects on His Coca-Cola Journey and Legacy as Company’s 15th Chief Executive
- Coca-Cola Salesman's Career in Mississippi Started During Civil Rights Movement
- Meet Shirley Hasley: The Accidental Coke Model Who Helped Make History