Our bottling system around the world has approximately 10 million coolers and vending machines in place today. Our refrigeration equipment is a large contributor to our climate footprint. The cornerstone of our climate protection and energy management efforts is building a sustainable refrigeration program.
We have been working to improve the efficiency of our refrigeration equipment and to reduce greenhouse gas emissions produced by this equipment.
- We've improved the energy efficiency of our cooling equipment by 40 percent. A large part of our progress is due to our work developing an intelligent energy management system that delivers energy savings of up to 35 percent when placed on our equipment. To date, we've placed more than 4.2 million of these devices globally, reducing customer electricity consumption and saving them an estimated $300 million annually.
- We've transitioned to hydrofluorocarbon (HFC)-free insulation foam for new equipment, eliminating 75 percent of direct GHG emissions as compared to traditional refrigeration equipment.
- We've identified a natural refrigerant gas to replace HFC refrigerant gas and are phasing out the use of HFCs in all new equipment by 2015.
Over the past decade, we have invested more than USD $60 million in research and development to advance the use of climate-friendly, HFC-free cooling technologies. We currently have nearly 550,000 units of HFC-free refrigeration equipment in use throughout our system and plan to triple our use over the next two years.
As a result of the
We're hopeful our aggregate demand will encourage supply as a means of accelerating the transition to HFC-free refrigeration equipment. Our HFC-free goal was a direct result of work with Greenpeace that began in 2000.
More on Journey
- 5 Ways Coca-Cola Great Britain Is Helping Consumers Enjoy Less Sugar
- Global Developers Turn to Social Art to Help Give Communities Access to Safe Water
- Water for Life: Youth-based NGO Raleigh Borneo and Coca-Cola Malaysia Provide Clean Water to Rural Communities in Sabah
- Full Circle: How Coca-Cola is Embracing the Circular Economy in Germany
- Muhtar Kent Remarks: U.S. Water Partnership 2017 Water Leader Award