Through global sourcing efforts, in collaboration with bottling partners,
“Meaningful progress is important and being able to source 1 million tons of more sustainable sugar this year is progress worth noting, but we have a lot more work to do,” said Matt Swindall, Senior Director, Procurement (Global Nutritive Sweeteners), The
Coca-Cola’s ability to sustainably source 1 million tons of sugar builds on the approximately half million tons of Bonsucro-certified sugar
Coca-Cola worked with Bonsucro members to create the first global metric standard for sustainable sugarcane production and was the first to purchase Bonsucro-certified sugar in 2011. The Company also achieved Bonsucro Chain of Custody Standard certification, which enables the tracking of claims on the sustainable production of Bonsucro sugarcane and all sugarcane-derived products along the entire supply chain. In October 2015,
“From the beginning,
Working in 207 countries facing diverse challenges,
Efforts include supporting pilot suppliers in Mexico to assess Bonsucro readiness; collaborating with Bonsucro to certify suppliers and Brazil; sourcing 100 percent Bonsucro-certified sugar through Azunosa in Honduras; recognizing the Smartcane standard in Australia and encouraging suppliers there to achieve Bonsucro certification; and working with suppliers in Africa to ensure global recognition of local programs.
Coca-Cola’s progress on sugar is part of a larger system-wide goal, set in 2013, to sustainably source 100 percent of its priority ingredients by 2020.
“Many of us who work in sustainability constantly say sustainability is a journey. And it is. Now that we’re sustainably sourcing nearly 20 percent of our sugar, my focus is on that remaining 80 percent needed to meet our goal, and advancing the sourcing of our other key agricultural ingredients. Our suppliers have really stepped up to the challenge of helping us build a sustainably-sourced supply chain. Their collaboration has been and always will be critical to our program’s success,” said Ben Jordan, Procurement Director of Global Sustainable Agriculture, The
Learn more about The
More on Journey
- Young Entrepreneurs from Middle East and North Africa Spend Summer in U.S. to Spark Innovation, Foster Business Potential
Coca-ColaIndia and Partners to Invest $1.7 Billion in Country’s Agricultural Ecosystem
- Empowering the Next Generation of Leaders: Wishing Extraordinary Women a Happy Mother’s Day
- How Coke’s U.S. Business is Changing in Line with Consumer Tastes
- Stepping Up With STEP: Coke's Supplier Training & Empowerment Program Helps Women-Owned Suppliers Compete and Grow