This recipe actually belongs to my granddad’s sister, Nadide. So it is at least 60+ years old. I have modernized it with Sprite which worked wonders for our daily teatime routines here in Turkey. It features no fat and is very easy one bake! The hazelnuts will all rise to the top of the cake giving a scrumptious and crunchy top coat. I hope you will enjoy it as much as we do.
- 330 ml Sprite
- 4 Eggs
- 200 ml White Baking Flour
- 150 ml Large Chunks of Hazelnut
- 200 ml Icing Sugar
- Total Time: 45 min
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 C Whip up the icing sugar and eggs until they are thoroughly mixed. To that mixture, slowly and preferably about 50 ml per addition add the Sprite. Making sure you are mixing the ingredients with a wooden spoon and swirling slowly. In the third step add the flour. In adding this ingredient it would be ideal if you could sift it through a tel süzgeç. This will make the flour more airy and your cake fluffier. Add the hazelnuts to the mixture. Lightly grease the cake tin then sprinkle some of the sugar inside the tin. This will give a great texture to the bottom & sides of the cake. Place the cake batter in the tin. Place the tin in your pre-heated oven for roughly 40-45 minutes. Patience for the first 40 minutes. For the Sprite to work its magic please do not open the oven doors unless you are sure the cake is baked.
If you sit the ingredients out in the room temperature 15 minutes before cooking I always they blend better.
- Some lemon and orange peel works well.
- You can set some of the batter aside, mix that with cocoa powder and add to the mixture before it is baked to get a Marble cake effect.
- I took the liberty of caramelizing the remaining hazelnuts and sugar in my kitchen to create some hazelnut krokan that was great for decorating the cake.
More on Journey
- 16 Features From 2016 That Are Worth a Second Look
- RAIN and CARE Scale Water Smart Agriculture in Ghana, Malawi and Mali
- 2016 Sustainability Report: Agriculture Infographic
Shake, Sparkle & Stir: A Mixologist Showdown Featuring
- Shaking Up St. Pat’s Day: McD’s Shamrock Shake Inspires Cult Following