The Sochi Winter Olympics may be over, but I have some Olympic trivia for you: Who made their debut at the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid as the world’s first ever ice-skating robot? That’s right, it was “Cobot!” This life-sized robot could skate with the best of them, appearing in news features with figure skating coach Gus Lussi and figure skating champion Jojo Starbuck. The Coca-Cola Archives has a “Cobot” at our off-site storage facility where I recently snapped this picture. Was anyone lucky enough to see “Cobot” in person at the 1980 Winter Olympics?
More on Journey
- Celebrating the Champs: The Storied History of Coke's Commemorative Sports Cans (and Bottles)
- Coca-Cola Salesman's Career in Mississippi Started During Civil Rights Movement
- 5 Artists Who Will Transform How You See Coca-Cola
- The Story of Frank O'Hara's ‘Having a Coke With You’ Poem
- How Italy Celebrates Carnival