A stunner on the table, twice-baked sweet potatoes are easier to make than they seem. Cooking times will vary by size of potato, so make sure to test the flesh with a fork before scooping and smashing. And remember: gentle hands make pretty potatoes.This dish riffs off of a classic flavor profile that many people think of when they hear "sweet potatoes."
Coca-Cola and brown sugar caramelize in the oven, while butter, vanilla and classic spices combine to taste like nostalgia.
- 4 large, similarly sized sweet potatoes with skin, well-scrubbed and pierced with a fork several times
- 3 Tablespoon butter
- 3 Tablespoon brown sugar
- .25 Teaspoon grated nutmeg
- .25 Teaspoon ginger
- .5 Teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 Tablespoon cream cheese
- .5 Teaspoon salt
- Total Time: 1 hr 45 min
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr 15 min
- Bake sweet potatoes in a 375-degree oven until baked completely through, a bit over an hour, depending on the size of the potato. Let cool slightly. Cut off top of potato (lengthwise) and scoop flesh out into a mixing bowl, being careful to leave skins intact. Combine with rest of ingredients and mash until smooth. Adjust seasoning. Spoon or pipe back into skins and bake 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Optional: garnish with chopped nuts and chives.
More on Journey
- 16 Features From 2016 That Are Worth a Second Look
- #JxJNashville: Meet the Characters of Music City
- Decoding Day of the Dead: A Look at Cherished Traditions and New Twists on the Latin American Holiday
- The Pour That Refreshes: Why H&F Burger Chef Linton Hopkins Takes His Fountain Coke Very Seriously
- RAIN and CARE Scale Water Smart Agriculture in Ghana, Malawi and Mali