Some partners immediately come to mind any time you think of Coca-Cola.
Coke and McDonald's.
Coke and the Olympic Games.
Coke and a smile.
But what about Coca-Cola and…Porsche? Yes, Porsche, the iconic brand of sportscar just about everyone has dreamed of owning, and driving, at some point. The two companies actually have longstanding ties – including a few that even the biggest
The two brands' more recent shared history has been showcased these past few months at the Porsche Experience Center (PEC) at said headquarters. There, four incredible racecars completely tricked out in Coke iconography have been on display at the PEC Heritage Center. The cars all belong to private collectors now, but were once part of Bob Akin’s legendary racing team.
These four iconic red-and-white cars saw action and won trophies in races such as the 24 Hours of Daytona and the 12 Hours of Sebring. Akin’s
According to Bob’s son, Bobby Akin, the sponsorship wasn’t just about scoring access the iconic logo. Bob was a huge fan of the
The cars are now on their way back to their owners across the U.S.. But don’t worry, you may still be able to catch a glimpse. A few of the cars, and their owners, can be found on the vintage racing circuit.
More on Journey
- From 'Pool Boy' to 'Elevator': Get the Stories Behind Coke's 4 New Buzzworthy Ads
- ‘What is Coca-Cola?’ Why the Brand Has Appeared on Jeopardy! 200+ Times
- Primary Color: Why Sprite Has Sported Green Since 1961
- Photos: Coca-Cola Celebrates Start of Special Olympics World Winter Games 2017
- A Slice of Coca-Cola History: Beloved Kentucky Bottling Plant Reborn as Mellow Mushroom Pizzeria