Coca-Cola Will Give $8.4 Million to Place 100 Fitness Centers Across the U.S. and Fund Fitness and Nutrition Programs Around the World
In the U.S., the Company will dedicate $5 million to provide 100 communities with new fitness centers for schools. In addition, The
Creating Places for People to Get Moving
Working with the National Foundation for Governor's Fitness Councils ® and the American College of Sports Medicine,
- The unbranded centers will feature new fitness equipment and provide more than 5 million workouts annually, helping communities put physical activity back into schools.
- The effort expands on a pilot program in California with Jake "Body by Jake ® " Steinfeld, former Chairman of the California Governor's Council on Physical Fitness and Sports and current Chairman of the National Foundation for Governors' Fitness Councils . More than 1.4 million students benefited from the pilot program.
- Some of the first communities to receive centers outside of California will be in Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and Washington, D.C.
Supporting Active, Healthy Living Programs
- 100 Black Men of America, Inc., 100 Healthy Living Project 2012, $150,000 - This grant will benefit 1,200 young people through mini-grants to seven local chapters to expand the "Nutrition and Physical Activity The 100 Way Program," and "Youth Movement," a track and field program for at-risk youth.
- Delta Citizens Alliance, Delta Energy Youth Program, $25,000 - This grant will support a network of daycare centers for children in the mid-Delta region of Mississippi with programming to encourage healthy eating and exercise.
- San Francisco Parks Alliance, Mobile Recreation Program, $100,000 - This grant will benefit more than 1,600 young people through expansion of the Mobile Recreation program at 17 centers.
- Piedmont Park Conservancy, Inc., Kids Get Active, $30,000 - This grant will benefit more than 1 million children through operations and upkeep of the playground and other facilities at Atlanta's Piedmont Park.
- Young Men's Christian Association of Metropolitan Atlanta, Inc., Scholarships to Attend Camp High Harbour, $25,000 - This grant will benefit more than 30 youth with scholarships to attend summer camp.
More on Journey
- Coca-Cola Launches 'A Coke For Everyone' with Debut of New Ad Campaign During Big Game
- What's Happening to Diet Coke®? Oh, Nothing. And Everything.
Coca-ColaCompany to Present at Deutsche Bank Global Consumer Conference
Coca-ColaCompany Announces New Global Vision to Help Create a World Without Waste
Coca-ColaCompany Announces Letter of Intent for Refranchising of Canadian Bottling Operations