North America to Feature Elite Olympic Hopefuls Including Alex Morgan and Nathan Adrian
Atlanta, July 13, 2016 – As the clock ticks down to the Opening Ceremony of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games,
“While the gold medal is an icon of sporting success,
#ThatsGold, which is rolling out around the world this July, will come to life through the following activations:
- Global Television and Print Campaign:
Coca-Colawill bring #ThatsGold to life through global television commercials (TVCs) and out-of-home campaign, featuring famous gold moments from previous Olympic Games and the faces of some of the most famous athletes from around the world. Among them, USA swimming champion Nathan Adrian, Australian hurdler, Michelle Jenneke and rising GB athlete, Jodie Williams. In line with the recent “Taste the Feeling” global creative campaign, the images featured in the global creative depict authentic, real gold moments on and off the podium with a Coca-Cola, Coca-ColaLight/Diet, Coca-ColaZero or a Coca-ColaLife. The TVCs center on the gold moments that happen both on and off the podium during the Olympic Games.
- Torch Relay: In the lead up to the Games,
Coca-Colahas been the presenting partner of the Olympic flame on its incredible 95-day journey through Brazil as part of the Rio 2016 Olympic Torch Relay. By the time the torch arrives in Rio de Janeiro, the flame will have been carried by over 12,000 people, having visited 320 cities, covering 20,000km on land, and over 16,000km by air. Nearly 2,000 Coca-Colatorchbearers are helping the flame reach the most remote and diverse corners of Brazil, chosen based upon the inspiring work they have done in their communities, for embracing positivity and for the gold spirit with which they bring people together.
Coca-ColaOlympic Station: For the first time in its Olympic Games history, Coca-Colawill create an official ‘must see’ hang out for teens in Rio where they can experience and engage with the Olympic Games on their terms. Located in the new heart of the city and Official Rio Live Site, Praca Maua, this hang out will give fans the chance to experience #ThatsGold in a number of ways, from innovative tech activities to headline events with their idols. The space will mix athletes, music artists and influencers, allowing them to create and share their gold moments across social networks, all while tasting the feeling of a Coca-Cola.
- #IssoÉOuro/#ThatsGold Experience: Within the Olympic Park, The
Coca-Colaexperience, a visually stunning activation, will include ice-cold Coca-Colain commemorative gold aluminum bottles, a celebration of the Olympic Torch Relay (including a photo with the torch), highlights of the long-standing partnership between Coca-Colaand the Olympic Games, and a pin trading and retail experience.
- Global Influencers: To spread #ThatsGold across the world,
Coca-Colahas enlisted a selection of global influencers, including: Australian superstars Cody and Alli Simpson, Canadian actress and fashion blogger Allie Evans, and British YouTuber Jake Boys. The influencers are creating a series of content that defines what #ThatsGold means to them and encourages their social media followers to celebrate their own gold moments.
- Coletivo: The Rio 2016 Olympic Games will see the Coletivo
Coca-Colaproject extended further through Coletivo Events; a training program for young people from Rio de Janeiro’s favelas that aims to empower people from these communities through work. During the Olympic Games, Coca-Colawill employ young people from the initiative and train them to work within hospitality, venue operations and experiential roles, giving them valuable work experience and a once-in-a-lifetime chance to be part of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games in their home city. Now #ThatsGold.
North America Finds Gold
North America is one of more than 50 markets activating #ThatsGold globally. The campaign will come to life through an integrated marketing program that incorporates an elite group of five Team USA athletes and hopefuls and an Olympic legend who have won a total of more than 20 Olympic medals, including nine gold:
- Alex Morgan, Soccer
- A key member of the U.S. Women's National Team that won the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup, Morgan also won gold in the London 2012 Olympic Games. In 2012, Morgan was named U.S. Soccer Female Athlete of the Year by the United States Soccer Federation.
- Ashton Eaton, Track & Field
- A gold medalist in men’s decathlon at the London 2012 Olympic Games, Eaton holds the world record in both the decathlon and indoor heptathlon events.
- Tatyana McFadden, Paralympic Track
- McFadden is an 11-time Paralympic medalist, winning gold in the Sochi 2014 Olympic Games cross-country skiing, 1km sprint, and three gold medals at the London 2012 Olympic Games.
- Nathan Adrian, Swimming
- Reigning “Fastest Man in the Pool,” Adrian has amassed three Olympic gold medals and seven World Championship golds since 2008. Adrian will compete in his third consecutive Olympic Games in Rio.
- Leo Manzano, Track & Field
- A 2012 silver medalist in London, Manzano was the first U.S. athlete to make the podium in the 1500m race in 44 years.
- Nastia Liukin, Gymnastics legend
- One of the all-time most decorated U.S. gymnasts, Liukin won a gold medal for the all-around competition in the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games, adding to her three silver medals and single bronze. Liukin also won four gold medals during her career in the World Championships. In 2014, she was inducted into the USA Gymnastics Hall of Fame.
The slate of
Coca-Cola, Diet Coke and Coca-ColaZero packaging available nationwide. Beginning in mid-July, a range of 12-ounce cans will feature silhouette-style images of the athletes in motion, in anticipation and celebration of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games. Specially marked product will be on store shelves through the end of August or while supplies last.
- A series of three video vignettes, produced in partnership with NBC, focus on some of the happiest and most triumphant moments enjoyed by Morgan, Eaton, McFadden, Manzano, Liukin and Adrian, on and off the podium. The vignettes are narrated by the athletes and feature a collection of images and video that share the emotion behind their favorite #ThatsGold moments. A fourth vignette features a selection of
Coca-Colaathletes issuing a call to action to viewers, inspiring them to share their own #ThatsGold moments through photos and video across social platforms using the hashtag #ThatsGold.
The Rio 2016 Olympic Games marks 88 years of partnership between The
The Coca-Cola Company (NYSE: KO) is the world's largest beverage company, refreshing consumers with more than 500 sparkling and still brands and more than 3,800 beverage choices. Led by
More on Journey
Richard M. Daley to Retire from
Coca-ColaBoard of Directors
- Coca-Cola North America to Launch Digital Marketplace with Leading Foodservice Technologies Powered by Omnivore
Coca-ColaCompany Completes Acquisition of Chi Ltd. in Nigeria
- Taking Action to Address Animal Abuses at Fair Oaks Farms
Statement from The
Coca-ColaCompany on Our Approach to Research and Funding