Company Marks Physical Activity Milestone with Opening of Newest Live Positively Fitness Center in Asbury Park, N.J.
Atlanta, Sept. 23, 2013 – This summer, millions of
people were inspired to move and groove with
“For Coca-Cola, inspiring moments of happiness is part of our heritage and our future. What’s more fun than families and friends delighting in the joy of being active?” said Stuart Kronauge, General Manager, Sparkling Beverages, Coca-Cola USA. “While we teamed up with communities across the country this summer to get people moving more, we’re far from done. We plan to continue using our unequaled reach to inspire healthy and happy living.”
The Company, with The
One of the Company’s efforts to keep the movement going includes the grand opening of a new Live Positively Fitness Center at Asbury Park Middle School in New Jersey. Together, Coca‑Cola Americas President Steve Cahillane, Governor Chris Christie and fitness icon Jake Steinfeld showcased the facility today.
Park’s Live Positively Fitness Center is equipped with strength training
machines, cardiovascular gear and interactive exercise games customized for
middle school students. It’s one of 100 such facilities that will open at schools
around the country over five years. The fitness centers are expected to
facilitate 5 million workouts. Center locations are focused on areas with high
childhood obesity rates and areas that have few places for children to access
state-of-the-art equipment. Participating schools are selected by the National
Foundation for Governors’ Fitness Councils and the American College of Sports
Medicine. Funding is provided through a grant from The
“The health of our children is vital to the health of our future and that’s why I’ve declared war on childhood obesity,” said Steinfeld to a crowd of students and community leaders. “We are providing schools with tools to improve fitness, benefit academics and combat obesity. We can overcome any challenge when we work together to inspire and motivate students. The partners who joined forces today bring this idea to life.”
The Asbury Park Live Positively Fitness Center is
one of 12 locations opening in 10 days across Delaware, Georgia, New Jersey and
West Virginia. The centers are part of Get
the Ball Rolling activities that helped inspire more than 3 million Americans to move
this summer. Other activities included:
- Collectively, NASCAR fans walked more than 17,000 miles through the Coca-Cola Track Walks program.
- Thousands of people decided to “Take It To The Park” by logging in more than 44,000 hours of activity to benefit their favorite parks. Their efforts helped win recreation grants as part of the America Is Your Park campaign.
- Families, teens and young adults received 100,000 free soccer balls at
Coca-Colasponsored events like Coca-ColaSwelter Stopper and Family Field Days in Atlanta and Chicago.
- Coca-Cola® Happiness Trucks inspired more than 1 million people to move to the beat of summer’s hottest music during dance events across the country.
- Charlotte and Nashville’s Fit Family Challenge asked residents to compete in an eight-week physical activity program.
- Coca-Cola is partnering with the City of Sacramento to launch “Troops for Fitness” later today. This program supports the hiring of U.S. veterans to teach military-style fitness classes in citywide facilities.
Initiatives like Live Positively Fitness Centers and Get The Ball Rolling are part of The Coca-Cola Company’s commitment to bring people together to help address obesity. These efforts focused on engaging communities, families, experts and governments. In addition, the Company is delivering more beverage choices, calorie information and making physical activity opportunities more available than ever before. To learn more, visit www.comingtogether.com.
the National Foundation for Governors’ Fitness Councils
The National Foundation seeks to encourage and reward innovation in the field of youth fitness by awarding fitness centers to schools that use new and unique methods to promote student physical activity and wellness. The National Foundation envisions a fitness center in every school in the U.S., helping to build a nation that—through innovation and a “Don’t Quit” attitude—boasts the fittest kids in the world.
Read our BlogHow Has
More on Journey
- 2014 Partners in the Promise Awards
- Coca-Cola Refreshments Is Hiring Veterans With the Right Stuff
- Coca-Cola Contributes to 6.4 Trillion Calorie Reduction
- Guiding Principles Statement on Well-Being Scientific Research and Third Party Engagement
Coca-ColaCompany Statement on Diversity Legislation