Total Active Living Grants In 2013 Exceeds $8M
in U.S., Canada
ATLANTA, August 12, 2013 - Long summer days give people plenty of time to have fun in the sun and stay physically active. There's no shortage of pick-up ball games or relay races at the local pool. Through grants to promote healthy living, The Coca-Cola Foundation is making it even easier to get active.
The Boys & Girls Club Canada will use its funding to support the Youth Ability to Bring Change program. Through this initiative, more than 1,300 youth, ages 6- 18, will participate in nutrition, active lifestyles and healthy behaviors programming.
In Newark, Foundation support will provide daily basketball clinics for 250 youth through the YMWCA of Newark. Players will learn basic game skills as well as the importance of teamwork and living an active lifestyle.
"The goal is simple--to get people moving and excited about physical activity, " said Lori George Billingsley, Vice President, Community Relations, Coca-Cola North America Group. "By supporting organizations that are tapped in to their local communities, we can inspire people to be healthier in ways that are fun for them."
SUPPORT FOR EDUCATION HEATS UP
Several colleges and universities across the U.S. will receive support for
education through the
Foundation support for Purdue University will go towards education grants for its Diet and Exercise Clinical Research Center. The Center's core program will improve community nutrition, fitness, health, and well-being through research, student training and community engagement.
Other organizations receiving Foundation support include:
- Boys & Girls Club of Boston, Boston, MA, $25,000
- Downey Family YMCA, Downey, CA, $50,000
- FAN4Kids, Brooklyn, NY, $25,000
- Grand Teton National Park Foundation, Moose, WY, $25,000
- Human Rights Campaign Foundation, Washington, D.C., $100,000
- Teach for America, New York, NY, $100,000
- Unified Theater, Hartford, CT, $50,000
Since its inception, The
About The Coca-Cola Company
The Coca-Cola Company (NYSE: KO) is the world's largest beverage company, refreshing consumers with more than 500 sparkling and still brands. Led by Coca- Cola, the world's most valuable brand, our Company's portfolio features 16 billion-dollar brands including Diet Coke, Fanta, Sprite,
More on Journey
- Coca-Cola Reports Solid Operating Results in First Quarter
- Coca-Cola Named Winner for Best Overall U.S. Corporate Transparency
- Coca-Cola Board of Directors Elects Company Officer and Declares Regular Quarterly Dividend
Sweden to become the first country worldwide where all
Coca-Colaplastic bottles will be made from 100% recycled material
Coca-ColaCompany Announces Timing of Third Quarter 2019 Earnings Release