SAN ANTONIO, June 26, 2013 - Mayor Julián Castro joined
- Mobile Fit San Antonio will bring fitness activities to various locations throughout San Antonio, free of charge. The program engages people with a fitness vehicle offering mobile exercise equipment, mobile fitness coaches and a health kiosk.
- Ride-to-Own will distribute 450 bicycles to 15 community centers. People who have attended mandatory cycling safety lessons will have access to the bikes.
- San Antonio Sports Afterschool Program will serve 45 campuses and nearly 500 low-income youth. The program will expand homework assistance as well as mentoring, fitness and nutrition education.
Mobile Fit San Antonio, the grant will also support the
“This is a great example of the positive impact we can have when we leverage
public-private partnerships,” said Mayor Castro. “This project will provide
health and fitness resources across the city of San Antonio –
where our communities need it most while at the same time providing employment
opportunities to our nation’s heroes.”
The Foundation grant will also support the Mobile Food Market (MFM) and Nutrition Education on the Move (NEOM) programs. Through a mobile vehicle, the San Antonio Food Bank will distribute fruits and vegetables and provide nutrition education free of charge.
These programs will help increase access to nutritious foods and nutrition education for low-income families and seniors.
“Together with Mayor Castro and the Mayor’s Fitness
Council, we are helping to
develop workable solutions to address obesity in a sustainable way,” said Sonya Soutus, Senior Vice
President, Public Affairs and Communications,
San Antonio Sports and San Antonio Food Bank are among many grantees
from around the world that are amplifying
their active living and nutrition education programs due to local grants from
In 2012, The
The mission of the Mayor’s Fitness Council (MFC) is to lead San Antonio to become of the healthiest and most active communities in the nation. Through the MFC, residents, groups, and organizations work collaboratively to achieve targeted health and fitness goals. The MFC serves as the primary entity for the Mobilizing Health and Fitness Resources to Neighborhoods Project.
Since its inception, The
# # #
More on Journey
Coca-ColaCompany Announces Timing of Second Quarter 2019 Earnings Release
- Coca-Cola Reports Continued Momentum in Second Quarter; Updates Full Year Guidance
- Coca-Cola HBC to launch Costa Coffee in multiple markets in 2020
- Taking Action to Address Animal Abuses at Fair Oaks Farms
- Coca-Cola Named Winner for Best Overall U.S. Corporate Transparency