Kobe Bryant and LeBron James Lead Global Search for Amateur Players with Personal, Expressive Moves to Represent Team Intense and Team Sudden in the Sprite Uncontainable Game™
ATLANTA, Feb. 27, 2012 - The recruitment call is here! Now is the time for basketball players across the globe to lace up their kicks, grab a ball and perfect their uncontainable basketball moves. Sprite ® is shining a spotlight on undiscovered basketball talent and celebrating players' expressive moves by participating in the Sprite Uncontainable Game as players and fans.
Sprite is teaming up with six NBA players -- Kobe Bryant (Los Angeles Lakers) and LeBron James (Miami Heat) from the U.S., in addition to Andrea Bargnani (Toronto Raptors) from Italy, Al Horford (Atlanta Hawks) from the Dominican Republic, Omri Casspi (Cleveland Cavaliers) from Israel and Serge Ibaka (Oklahoma City Thunder) from the Republic of Congo -- to discover 24 amateur ballers who will represent either Team Sudden or Team Intense in the Sprite Uncontainable Game™ at NBA All-Star 2013 in Houston.
As part of the brand's largest ever basketball program and building upon its long-standing partnership with the NBA , the six professional players will help Sprite discover players whose personal styles of play set them apart.
- TEAM INTENSE : Kobe Bryant, Andrea Bargnani and Al Horford will coach players whose moves are characterized as agile, surgical and precise. Team Intense is looking for players who land lean one-handed dunks, execute off the pick-and-roll and drop passes on a dime.
- TEAM SUDDEN: Players with moves that are strong, forceful and bold, will try out for Team Sudden, coached by LeBron James, Omri Casspi and Serge Ibaka. Team Sudden is looking for players who soar in for tomahawk dunks, grab monster rebounds and execute full-court passes.
Players will first identify the team that best represents their personal style and skills. Then they will have the opportunity to try out for the first round by either uploading their best moves online at Sprite.com (U.S. residents only) or by showing their moves off at local tournaments and events*. Finalists in each country will be determined by select judging panels.
Coinciding with the player tryouts, fans will also compete to demonstrate how uncontainable they are both online, at local events and through mobile SMS challenges. The most expressive fans will be given the chance to win a trip to watch the Sprite Uncontainable Game in Houston during NBA All-Star 2013.
"Basketball is about unselfishness and camaraderie, and there's so much joy that comes from playing the game," said Kobe Bryant. "Team Intense will win the Sprite Uncontainable Game because we're precise and surgical with our strategies. When you win games and championships you have to have intensity -- a no fear quality. Sprite is about expression and always keeping your cool no matter how intense it gets. Participating in the Sprite Uncontainable Game will be fun. Who wouldn't want to be a part of this?"
"Basketball is my love, my dream, my goal and I base everything around it," said LeBron James. "It helped me stay on the right path. Sprite helps me to be myself -- on and off the court -- and together we have the opportunity to spread the game worldwide and to look for talent. Team Sudden will play stronger, faster and tougher than our opponent, so we'll win the Sprite Uncontainable Game."
The Sprite Uncontainable Game will leave a lasting impression on countries across the world by shining a light on and fostering local talent and bringing communities together to rally around their standout players. Throughout the world, the Sprite Uncontainable Game will also support initiatives and organizations that improve conditions at local basketball courts.
"Basketball is one of the most important sports in the world, and it unites by breaking down borders and connecting continents," said Selman Careaga, Senior Global Brand Director at The
More than 27 countries are on the Sprite Uncontainable Game search roster including the United States, China, Mexico and a host of European and African nations.
For more information and official rules for U.S. residents, go to
More on Journey
- Coca-Cola and Fans Around the Globe Cheer On Special Olympics Athletes at World Games in Los Angeles
- Sprite and LeBron James Mix It Up to Create a New Limited-Edition Flavor
- Coca-Cola Marks Underdog’s Crowning Moment in New Big Game Ad
- Introducing burn Yard™: A New Creative Program from burn® Energy Drink
- Coca-Cola Inspires More than 3 Million People to “Get The Ball Rolling”