Coca-Cola challenges Americans to get active outdoors as part of its overall commitment to help people rediscover the joy of being active
Atlanta, June 6, 2013 – Did you know that a run in the park or a
family game of soccer could be worth $100,000? This summer, being active
outdoors has never been more rewarding as
“Through America Is Your Park
and all of
This year, the more people move, the more votes they can earn for their favorite park. By registering at Coke.com/Parks and linking foursquare and MapMyFitness accounts, individuals can “Take It To The Park” for even more opportunities to turn physical activity into votes:
- Earn 10 votes each day by logging at least 20 minutes of physical activity using MapMyFitness
- Earn five (5) votes per day by “checking in” at a park via foursquareEarn one (1) vote by clicking online at www.Coke.com/Parks using a computer or smartphone
To encourage more activity outdoors, votes will be doubled on “National Get Outdoors Day” (June 8), the first day of summer (June 21) and the last weekend of voting (July 13 and 14). National Get Outdoors Day is led by the USDA Forest Service and the American Recreation Coalition to encourage healthy, active outdoor fun at sites across the nation.
The three parks that receive the most votes by July 15, 2013 will be awarded recreation grants in the following amounts: First Place – $100,000; Second Place – $50,000; and, Third Place – $25,000. In addition, a $15,000 grant will be awarded at random to another park that places in one of the remaining top 25 spots. These recreation grants are provided to help restore, rebuild or enhance activity areas in national, state or local parks where people can play and be active.
Spreading Activity Across America This Summer
There are many ways people can “Take It To The Park,” but it all starts with getting active. Recently, Coca-Cola announced a commitment to inspire as many as 3 million people to get their “fun on” this summer by making activities and sports gear available. Through the “Get The Ball Rolling” initiative, the Company will use its programs and events to make sure that people rediscover the joy and fun of being active this summer.
encourage people to get outside and enjoy active fun,
Coca-Colais giving away fitness activity trackers and up to 100,000 soccer balls at major events and online at www.MyCokeRewards.com all summer.
- Host a family picnic in the park with your favorite SUBWAY™ restaurant sandwiches and get a family game of soccer started. And then turn that activity into votes for your favorite park by “checking in” via foursquare or logging activity on MapMyFitness. In support of active, healthy living programs, SUBWAY is the exclusive America Is Your Park partner for the third year in a row.
- Around the country, the Coca-Cola Swelter Stopper will also be making stops to help people beat the heat and get active. The Swelter Stopper is an award-winning mobile activity unit that will cool things down at more than 100 events throughout the summer. Blasts of frosty air will provide refreshing relief from the summertime heat and a DJ will crank up the volume. Visitors can also enjoy interactive gaming, a video studio and photo station.
- Coca-Cola Happiness Trucks will also be rolling into town at a series of dancing and activity events across the country. The interactive vehicles will inspire people to get on their feet and move to the beat of some of the hottest music of the summer.
Coca-Cola Commitment to Physical Activity and Parks
Coca-Cola has supported efforts to maintain and rebuild
parks across the nation for more than 40 years. The Company has donated more
than $14 million to date in recreation grants and partnerships to help keep
families active in the great outdoors. Through America Is Your Park,
Headquartered in Milford, Connecticut, and with regional offices in Amsterdam, Beirut, Brisbane, Miami and Singapore, the SUBWAY® brand was co-founded by Fred DeLuca and Dr. Peter Buck in 1965. Their partnership, which continues today, marked the beginning of a remarkable journey – one that has made it possible for thousands of individuals to build and succeed in their own business.
With more than 39,000 locations in 102 countries, the world’s largest restaurant chain – mostly through its franchisees – provides more than 400,000 job and career opportunities worldwide. For more information about SUBWAY® brand’s commitment to the planet visit subway.com. Find us on Facebook: Facebook.com/subway. Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/subway. SUBWAY® is a registered trademark of Doctor's Associates Inc. For more information, visit www.subway.com.
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, MapMyFitness is the health and fitness technology company that powers the Internet’s largest social network of fitness enthusiasts. The MapMyFitness suite of website and mobile applications, under the MapMyRun and MapMyRide flagship products, uses built-in GPS technology to provide users worldwide with the ability to map, record and share their exercise routes and workouts in an online database. In addition, users have access to a searchable database of over 80 million global routes, online training tools, nutrition tracking, fitness calculators, event listings, and the ability to easily share their activities with friends. MapMyFitness integrates with more than 200 device and app partners, allowing users to sync data seamlessly to the MapMyFitness platform. For more information, visit www.mapmyfitness.com
Foursquare is a free mobile application that helps you and your friends make the most of where you are. Wherever you go, you can use Foursquare to share and catalog all of your experiences. Looking for inspiration for what to do next? Open up the app to get personalized recommendations and deals based on where you, your friends, and people with your tastes have already been. For more information, visit foursquare.com.
America Is Your Park
Campaign Hashtag: #TakeItToThePark
More on Journey
Coca-ColaCompany Statement on Importance of Equal Rights for LGBT Community
- Coca-Cola Produces World's First PET Bottle Made Entirely From Plants
- Coca-Cola Releases 2014/2015 Sustainability Report
Coca-ColaCompany Hypes Up the Hoosier State During NCAA® Men's Final Four® in Indianapolis
- Coca-Cola is the First Fortune 500 Company to Replenish All the Water it Uses Globally