Five Cities to Receive Acceleration Funding
DAVOS, Switzerland, Jan. 21, 2015 -- The Coca-Cola Company today announced the 2015 winners of the
This year’s Grand Prize Winner from Kathmandu, Nepal will receive a $20,000 grant for its “Nepal Earthquake Relief Project.”
In the aftermath of the devastating 2015 earthquake in Nepal, the rural area of Sindhupalchowk was left with only one functioning health post to serve an estimated 40,000 villagers in the region. The Global Shapers took swift action in organizing a collaborative earthquake relief effort to rebuild this important community resource. With their acceleration funding from
“Three years ago we founded the ‘Coca-Cola Shaping a Better Future Grant Challenge’ because the most powerful thing we can do for self-starting young people is to help bring their innovative, solutions oriented projects to scale,” said Clyde Tuggle, Chief Public Affairs and Communications Officer, The
Adrian Monck, Head of Public Engagement and Foundations at the World Economic Forum, said, “The
The Coca-Cola Company has also awarded four $10,000 grants for the following projects:
- Cartagena, Colombia: Increasing the community’s access to clean drinking water. The “Water for Life” project is distributing water filters that are portable and require no electricity to function to at-risk communities in the region.
- Chandigarh, India: Addressing gender-based violence in India. The “I Break My Silence” project creates an ecosystem of community based education and awareness programming to create safer environments for women.
- Gaza, Palestine: Installing solar lighting systems in rehabilitation centers for the disabled. The “Solar Power Lighting Disabled Lives” project ensures consistent access to the center’s therapeutic services for this high-need community during power outages in the area.
- Geneva, Switzerland: Increasing access to educational materials through the distribution of repurposed solar powered e-devices, such as e-book readers, laptops and MP3-players. The “Reading 4 Change” project reduces e-waste, while simultaneously helping those in need.
About the Global Shapers Community
The Global Shapers Community is a network of hubs developed and led by young people who are exceptional in their potential, their achievements and their drive to make a contribution to their communities.
About the World Economic Forum
The World Economic Forum, committed to improving the state of the world, is the International Organization for Public-Private Cooperation. The Forum engages the foremost political, business and other leaders of society to shape global, regional and industry agendas.
The Coca-Cola Company (NYSE: KO) is the world's largest beverage company, refreshing consumers with more than 500 sparkling and still brands. Led by
Director, Media Relations
Manager, Global Shapers Partnership
Senior Manager, Public Affairs & Communications,
World Economic Forum:
More on Journey
Board of Directors of The
Coca-ColaCompany Declares Quarterly Dividend
Coca-ColaCompany Announces Timing of Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2017 Earnings Release and Investor Conference Call
- Coca-Cola Announces Timing of First Quarter 2018 Earnings Release and Investor Conference Call
Coca-ColaCompany Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2016 Results
Coca-ColaCompany Reports Solid Operating Results in Third Quarter 2017