More than $3 million targets programs to fight obesity
“The health and well-being
of our families and communities concern everyone,” said Lisa M. Borders, Chair of
“One of the Foundation’s strategic goals is to encourage access to physical activity and nutritional education programs,” Borders said. “More than one-third of the programs funded during this grant cycle increase access for people of all ages and abilities to become more physically active and healthy.”
“There is solid evidence
of the gaps in physical activity in Europe – between countries and between
population groups,” said Mogens Kirkeby, President of International Sport and
Culture Association (ISCA), which received a $950,000 grant from The
“Coca-Cola’s contribution will allow ISCA to develop and enhance initiatives for hard-to-reach populations and thereby bring physical activity into the lives of some of the least active groups in society.” ISCA is a non-governmental association based in Copenhagen, Denmark. Its MOVE Activation program will encourage 100 million Europeans to become active by 2020 by expanding and standardizing sports and activity programming.
During the third quarter, the Foundation awarded $2.8 million to support active healthy living initiatives, $2.5 million to support education initiatives, $1.1 million to support recycling initiatives, $1.2 million to support water initiatives, and $650,000 to support youth development and other local community priorities. Year to date, the Foundation has awarded $58.5 million worldwide.
Some of the organizations receiving grant funding during the third quarter include:
Active Healthy Living
- InternationalSportandCulture Association, “MOVE Activation,” Denmark, $950,000.
- European Food Information Council, “AISBL myPace for Weight Management,” Multiple European Countries, $529,000.
- Yayasan Mitra Masyarakat Sehat Indonesia, “Indonesia Exercise is Medicine, Indonesia,” $307,000.
- ZalaegerszegiEgészségügyiFőiskolaiKépzésértAlapítvány, “Energy Balance Study and Active Living Communications Campaign,” Hungary, $250,000.
- EPODEInternationalNetwork, “PAIDEIATROFI – EPODE Methodology Childhood Obesity Prevention in Greece,” Greece, $150,000.
- Colombianitos, Inc., “Goals for a Better Life in Bogota - Community Empowerment,” Colombia, $100,000.
- Changi Health Fund (Ltd), “Exercise is Medicine Singapore (EIMS),” Singapore, $80,000.
- Special Olympics Israel, “Organizing Sport Competition for Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities in 13 Sports,” Israel, $80,000.
PROTECTING THE ENVIRONMENTWater
- SerikatPaguyuban Petani Qaryah Thayyibah, “Lumbung Air Untuk Kehidupan Mendatang (Water Saving for Future Livelihood),” Indonesia, $249,492.
- University ofCordoba, “Reducing the Hydrological Impact of Imported Strawberries Huelva Region of Spain,” Spain, $199,212.
- World Wildlife Fund, Inc., “Strengthening Biodiversity Conservation and Improving Dependent Local Livelihoods,” Vietnam, $180,000.
- UniversitatJaume I, “Facing the Seawater Intrusion Recharging Coastal Aquifers with Regenerated Waters (Phase III),” Spain, $143,000.
- Population and Community Development Association, “Clean Water for Communities: Solar Powered Water Systems,” Thailand, $120,000.
- Environmental Quality Protection Foundation, “Green Water School Series: Water Adaptation School Project,” Taiwan, $30,000.
Coca-ColaBrasil: “Institute Doe Seu Lixo, ICCB-Recycling Cooperative Management Capability Program,” Brazil, $950,000.
- Compromiso Empresarial Para El Reciclaje Colombia, “Strengthening Recyclers Production Units,” Colombia, $72,965.
- Save The Harbor/Save The Bay, “Youth Environmental Education Programs,” United States, $50,000.
BUILDING STRONG COMMUNITIES
- Yayasan Ancora (The Ancora Foundation), “Vocational Studies Scholarship 2013,” Indonesia, $104,000.
- Partners of the Americas, “100,000 Strong in the Americas,” Multiple Latin American Countries, $250,000.
- INJAZ Palestine, “Nbc / Injaz Palestine – Leadership,” Multiple, $50,000.
- Palestine Association for Children's Encouragement of Sports, “After-School Sports Program In Palestine, Jordan and Lebanon” Multiple Countries, $50,000.
- Young Business Leadership, “Young Business Leadership Program,” Israel, $40,000.
- Innovation Factory – “Youth Empowerment Project: Information Hub for Digital Opportunities,” France, $150,000
- Debate In Civil Society Public Union – “Youth Inc. Program -- Stage 2,” Azerbaijan, $100,000
The Coca-Cola Company (NYSE:
KO) is the world's largest beverage company, refreshing consumers with more
than 500 sparkling and still brands. Led by Coca-Cola, one of the world's most valuable and recognizable brands,
our Company's portfolio features 16 billion-dollar brands including Diet Coke, Fanta, Sprite,
More on Journey
- A Message from John Murphy about Coca-Cola's Business in the Philippines
Coca-ColaCompany to Participate in Barclays Global Consumer Staples Conference
Coca-ColaCompany Reports Solid Operating Results and a Positive Start to 2018
Coca-ColaCompany Announces Letter of Intent for Refranchising of Canadian Bottling Operations
Coca-ColaCompany Updates Currency Outlook and Reaffirms Guidance, Including EPS Growth Target (Non-GAAP), in Advance of Deutsche Bank Global Consumer Conference