This recipe comes to us from our
- 1/2 Cup low-fat milk
- 3/4 Cup butter
- 1 Tablespoon yeast
- 1 1/3 Cup all-purpose wheat flour
- 1-1 1/4 Tablespoon Stevia
- 3 eggs
- Approx 2 Cup apples
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 3.5 Ounce almond sticks
- 1 Teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1-2 Teaspoon Stevia
- Total Time: 2 hr 5 min
- Prep Time: 1 hr 15 min
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Heat up the milk and dissolve the butter into it, add yeast and stir. Strain flour into a bowl, add yeast, milk, eggs and stevia, and process into an even dough with a mixer. Cover the dough bowl and set aside, unrefrigerated, for 30 minutes. The dough should visibly increase in volume. In the meantime, clean, wash and dice the apples. Mix with lemon juice and cinnamon in a bowl and cover. Mix the dough with almond and apple, and add in the remaining stevia. Dab the 8.5 inch bundt pan thinly with oil, and fill in the dough. Set it aside, covered, for 30 minutes. Preheat the baking oven to 350°. Bake the proved cake on the lower shelf for approximately 50 minutes. Stick a wooden skewer into the cake: if no dough adheres to the skewer, take the cake out of the oven. Leave it in the mold for 10 to 15 minutes, carefully release the borders and turn upside down on a cake plate.
Kirsten Metternich, a well-known German nutritionist and author of "Das kleine Weihnachtsbackbuch" shares her approach to baking with stevia.
When the natural, no-calorie stevia sweetener was approved for use as a food additive in Germany, Metternich began experimenting with stevia and erythritol, another naturally-derived sugar substitute with almost no calories. Kirsten baked cookies, cakes and pies, perfecting her treats over a two-year period. We spoke to her to learn more about what she learned from baking with stevia that inspired her Cinnamon Apple Bundt Cake:
Of course. I just baked Christmas cookies and roasted almonds with stevia last night until 2 a.m. They turned out to be really good. And my family continues to enjoy my baking.
How has your baking changed with the introduction of stevia?
If one wanted to reduce sugar in the past, there weren’t many satisfying alternatives. Stevia is altogether very uncomplicated during baking. Moreover, it can be well mixed with sugar.
Can I do anything with stevia?
Almost. Pure stevia has a slightly unique taste making it perfectly suitable for dough with nuts, ginger, cinnamon, aniseed or gingerbread spices. Because I’ve found it to be challenging to whisk with eggs, I don’t use stevia in my sponge cake. In many instances you can use half stevia and half sugar. I would caution you in using stevia to caramelize or make meringue—but apart from that, it can be used universally.
What do I have to consider when baking with stevia?
When you combine stevia with sugar, dough turns brown faster. After half of the time, I recommend covering the cake with a layer of baking parchment paper. Beginners should take into consideration that one needs only a bit of stevia to generate sweetness. The taste develops only on the palate. I compare it to a good bottle of wine, which only starts developing its bouquet after opening.
How do I find the right amounts?
If I needed 100 grams of sugar and wanted to replace half of it, I take 50 grams of sugar and initially 5 grams of stevia granulate. Stevia and erythritol can be easily combined, too.
What response has your baking book generated?
The feedback has been very positive. I have obviously touched a nerve. People are simply curious about stevia and want to give it a try. Diabetics write to me that they are happy to be able to eat delicious cookies again. A fan has even composed a song for me; I was really touched by that.
More on Journey
Coca-ColaCherry Spice Cake Will Turn Fruitcake Haters Into Fruitcake Lovers
- Working to Help Train More Than 100,000 Sugarcane Farmers in India
Gifts That Keep On Giving: 12
Coca-ColaJourney Holiday Stories from Seasons Past
Coca-Colaand Chef Zane Holmquist Cook Up Taste of the Olympic Winter Games
- Chick-fil-A’s New Frosted Sunrise Features Simply Orange Juice