The very first recipe I posted on the blog was for a
Though I usually cook outside on the grill or with the smoker, this recipe can be made inside. My wife and I have just gotten a new oven, so we’ll have to try this one and I can perfect the art of barbequing in the house.
About 3 lbs. cut-up chicken or chicken breasts, thighs, legs
1/3 cup flour
2 tsp. salt
About 1/3 cup oil
1/2 cup finely diced onion
1/2 cup finely diced celery
1/2 cup finely diced green pepper
1 cup ketchup
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp. salt
1/2 tsp. hickory smoked salt
1/2 tsp. basil leaves
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/8 tsp. pepper
Rinse chicken pieces; pat dry. Coat chicken with the flour and the 2 tsp. salt. Brown pieces on all sides in the hot oil, then place pieces in a 3-qt. casserole. (Discard drippings.)
Combine remaining ingredients, mixing well. Spoon sauce over chicken, covering all pieces. Cover casserole, bake in moderate oven, 350°F, about 1 1/4 hours, or until chicken is fork-tender.
If desired, serve chicken with sauces on hot cooked rice. Makes 4 to 6 servings (about 3 cups sauce).
Here’s a hint I’ve learned when cooking with Coke: To reduce the foam so you can get an accurate measurement, use
Have you made the Coke BBQ sauce, or have you tried another recipe I’ve posted?
More on Journey
- Odwalla Celebrates Heritage with ‘Road to Our Roots’ VW Van Tour
- New Coke and Netflix Take Viewers Back to 1985 for Stranger Things Season 3 in First-of-its-Kind Partnership
- Coca-Cola and Disney Designed These Galactic Bottles for Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge
- Sundblom’s ‘Coca-Cola Santa’ Gets Its Own Commemorative Stamp
- A Refreshing Reward: The Story Behind This History-making 1943 Photo Featuring Tuskegee Airman Charles B. Hall