40 years ago today, July 7th 1971, the famous Hilltop commercial featuring the jingle, "I'd Like to buy the World a Coke" first aired in the U.S. The jingle had been released as a radio spot in February of that year and the television version released in England in late June. The release of the ad in the U.S. caused an immediate and dramatic response as consumers wrote the Company begging to see it again. The complete history of the ad is available at this Library of Congress site. I conducted a video oral history with two of the members of the New Seekers who recorded the song, and I hope to share a recap video in a few weeks, but in the meanwhile, enjoy this color corrected and restored version of the ad from our YouTube Channel.
More on Journey
- New Coke and Netflix Take Viewers Back to 1985 for Stranger Things Season 3 in First-of-its-Kind Partnership
- Coca-Cola Tips Cap to Boston Red Sox World Series Win With Commemorative Can
- Odwalla Celebrates Heritage with ‘Road to Our Roots’ VW Van Tour
- Born in New Orleans, Bred in Biloxi: Barq’s Celebrates 120th Anniversary
- The Varsity at 90: Coke’s North Avenue Neighbor Marks a Milestone