Helping to Turn the Tide on Trash through the International Coastal CleanupTrash is one of the most widespread pollution problems facing our ocean and waterways. Our ocean currently serves as an end of the pipeline for products that are not recycled, repurposed or properly discarded. The glut of items polluting our seas kills wildlife, chokes economies and impacts human health. Working with Ocean Conservancy,
At our core,
As a company, we intend to achieve this goal by helping improve local collection and recycling programs, raising consumer awareness and supporting the adoption of improved waste management practices. Thousands of
Organized by Ocean Conservancy, the International Coastal Cleanup inspires global action to remove trash and debris from waterways and, in the process, helps to change the behaviors that allowed these items to reach the water in the first place. The organization stresses the idea that what falls from human hands can be prevented by human hands -- and recorded for the benefit of our planet. Coca-Cola associates, along with their friends and families, serve as citizen scientists by recording every item collected. Ocean Conservancy then uses the data to produce the world's only annual country-by-country, state-by-state index of the marine debris problem. The results help drive
In 2014 alone, more than 7,000
Learn more about what we are doing to help clean our planet’s oceans and waterways and our partnership with Ocean Conservancy by clicking on the following links:
- In 2014, the Cleanup picked up more than 16 million pounds of trash (along nearly 21,500 miles of coastline) from oceans and waterways throughout the world.
rope was collected in 2014 to pull nearly 6,000 water skiers!
- The weight of all the grocery bags found in 2014 was heavier than that of three manatees.
More on Journey
- Coca-Cola Announces New Investments in Enhanced Recycling as Part of ‘World Without Waste’ Vision
- Push to Recycle the Right Way Pays Off in Atlanta, Denver and Chicago
- Grading Our Progress Toward a World Without Waste
- What If Plastic Never Became Waste?
- Together, We Can Change Our Future: How Companies are Working Together to Create a World Without Waste