This German pickled pot roast should be served with its rich, tangy ginger snap gravy to be truly authentic. Plan ahead because it takes days to properly marinate.
Makes 8 servings.
- 4 Pound boneless beef rump, sirloin tip or round bone chuck
- 1.5 Cup vinegar
- .75 Cup water
- 3 onions
- 2 Stalk celery
- 2 carrots
- 10 whole black peppers
- 10 whole cloves
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 Tablespoon sugar
- 1.5 Tablespoon salt
- 3 Tablespoon oil or shortening
- 3 Cup drippings plus strained marinade
- 5 Tablespoon flour
- 5 Tablespoon ginger snap crumbs
- Total Time: 4 hr 30 min
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 4 hr
- Two to four days before serving, wipe meat with damp cloth, then place it in a large plastic bag. In bowl, thoroughly combine remaining ingredients except oil and pour over meat. Fasten bag tightly and lay flat in a 13x9-inch pan. Refrigerate, turning bag each day. (If you like a sour sauerbraten, let meat marinate four days.) When ready to cook, remove meat (saving marinade) and dry well. Rub surface lightly with flour. Heat oil or shortening in Dutch oven and slowly brown meat well on all sides. Add 1 cup of the marinade liquid plus some of the vegetables and bay leaves. Cover tightly and simmer on surface heat or in a 350-degree oven for 3 to 4 hours until meat is fork-tender. If needed, add more marinade during cooking to keep at least ½-inch liquid in the Dutch oven. Remove meat and keep warm until ready to slice. Strain drippings into a large measuring cup; add several ice cubes; let stand a few minutes for fat to separate. Remove fat, then make gravy. Gravy: Combine above ingredients in Dutch oven, stir and cook about 5 minutes over medium heat until gravy is thickened. Taste for seasonings. Makes 3 cups gravy.
Makes 8 servings.
More on Journey
- 'Gold Meets Golden' Menu: Dishes and Medals from Chef Cat Cora
- Working to Help Train More Than 100,000 Sugarcane Farmers in India
- Georgia’s Porch Light Latin Kitchen Rallies for Puerto Rican Hurricane Relief
Gifts That Keep On Giving: 12
Coca-ColaJourney Holiday Stories from Seasons Past
Watch: JetBlue and
Coca-ColaOpen Pop-Up Airport Restaurant to Connect Travelers Over Food