This recipe was submitted by Rod Rives of Birmingham, Alabama. "For years my family has made these delicious onions and they work as a garnish or topping for many other delicious dishes (even pasta) and at holiday events. Some ideas: The onions can be eaten by themselves, served on steak, or mixed into mashed potatoes. Pour the leftover liquid on rice."
- 2.5 whole Vidalia onions
- 2 Teaspoon liquid steak seasoning (or more to taste)
- Total Time: 35 min
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
n a 9x13 microwave-safe casserole dish, cut whole Vidalia onions into sections 1 1/2 inches in length and around 3/4 inches wide. Literally float the cut onions in the
Coca-Cola, adding more if necessary to cover all the onions in your dish. Add the steak seasoning into the liquid. (Liquid steak seasoning is quite potent and 1 bottle capful is usually enough.) Stir once to spread the seasoning. Place in microwave and cook for 20 minutes on high or 30 minutes on medium setting. This will produce a soft, sweet caramelized onion with a hint of smoky flavor. It’s easy and effortless.
More on Journey
- Specialty Sodas With a Local Twist: Coke Leans Into Handcrafted Heritage With New Flavors
- Americans Spill the Beans About What Makes Them Feel Good in Summertime McCafé Survey
Combat Cooking with USO Kandahar:
- The Power of Food: Operation BBQ Relief Feeds Front-line Heroes in Times of Need
- 'Gold Meets Golden' Menu: Dishes and Medals from Chef Cat Cora