Our latest artist-curated Spotify playlist is brought to you by none other than R&B superstar Kelis.
Here is a music video of her song, Rumble.
A graduate of the world-renowned Le Cordon Bleu school, Kelis’ passion for the culinary arts is definitely at the forefront of her creative outputs. Her most recent endeavours include her own line of cooking sauces, Feast, her own cooking show, Saucy and Sweet, and her sixth studio album, which is simply named Food.
Below is Kelis' Spotify Playlist on the theme of Happiness:
We met with the Harlem-born singer who, as well as telling us about her new record and her specially created selection of songs, let us in on one of her all-time favourite recipes!
1. It’s been 4 years since your last official LP. Your new record Food feels like a change in direction from your previous material. What were your inspirations for this album?
Every 4 years I come out with an album, so I am right on time when it comes to releasing FOOD. The album is a record I've always wanted to make and naturally the timing felt right.
2. You’ve now got your own cooking show Saucy and Sweet. How do you juggle being a musician, mum and chef all at the same time?
For the most part everything comes very naturally as
being a mom is my number one priority. And I've always grown up with a mother
who had a catering company, so food was always part of my childhood, as well
as attending school for the performing arts.
3. You’re happiest when rustling up which dish?
I love to cook different dishes but sauces are my favorite thing to make.
4. Can you give us a recipe?
Sure. Here's my recipe for Brussels Sprouts, which I love!
- 1 lb sprouts cut in half the long way
- 3 Tbl spoons coconut oil
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 1 Tbl chopped garlic
- 1/2oz black currants
- 1/2 oz almond slivers
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of black ground pepper
- Medium fire.
- Put your oil in an already hot pan.
- Place the sprouts face down, add shallots and garlic.
- Salt and pepper, cover for about a minute or two.
- Let the faces get golden to dark brown, carmalized slightly.
- Add your almonds and currants last.
5. Talk us through the songs on your Spotify playlist and why you chose them.
For the tracks I chose, I mainly listen to music I've grown up with so to me they’re my personal favorites as well as some newer tracks that I love. I’ll listen to this mix if I'm in the kitchen cooking. I hope you enjoy!
6. We believe that happiness is better shared. Please can you pick a song from your playlist and tell us who you’d like to share it with and why?
Well, I picked the first track because it’s a song that I really like and so I wanted to start off my mix on a fun / happy note.
7. Lastly, what does happiness look like for you in 2014?
Happiness for me is my family and friends. Feel very blessed.