As Black History Month comes to a close today, I wanted to share one of the more recent items we acquired for the collection. This Willie Mays card from the 1952 set was produced by the
It is also interesting to note that the Giants only played 12 night games in 1952, but they did have 7 double headers scheduled that year. Baseball has certainly changed since that time.
In 1965, Willie Mays appeared in television advertising for
Take a minute to read "Willie Mays Baseball Story" on the back of the card. 1952 was only his second year in baseball, and while he won the Rookie of the Year award in 1951, it is amazing to consider how many records he would set and what a tremendous career he would have. The card finishes with the quote, "Willie Mays' record to date proves, like Coke, 'He is as Natural!"
More on Journey
- Coca-Cola Scholars Foundation President Mark Davis Reflects on 30 Years of Changing Lives
- Odwalla Celebrates Heritage with ‘Road to Our Roots’ VW Van Tour
- 12 Years Running: Panini’s FIFA World Cup™ Digital Sticker Album is More Popular Than Ever
- Coca-Cola Toasts to 23 Years at 2018 ESSENCE Festival
- New York Couple Celebrates Wedding With Coca-Cola Flair