As Black History Month comes to a close today, I wanted to share one of the more recent items we acquired for the collection. This Willie Mays card from the 1952 set was produced by the
It is also interesting to note that the Giants only played 12 night games in 1952, but they did have 7 double headers scheduled that year. Baseball has certainly changed since that time.
In 1965, Willie Mays appeared in television advertising for
Take a minute to read "Willie Mays Baseball Story" on the back of the card. 1952 was only his second year in baseball, and while he won the Rookie of the Year award in 1951, it is amazing to consider how many records he would set and what a tremendous career he would have. The card finishes with the quote, "Willie Mays' record to date proves, like Coke, 'He is as Natural!"
More on Journey
- Home of the Braves: Dansby Swanson Reps the ATL With #AllThingsLoyal
- Coca-Cola Toasts to 23 Years at 2018 ESSENCE Festival
- Sundblom’s ‘Coca-Cola Santa’ Gets Its Own Commemorative Stamp
- Coca-Cola Tips Cap to Boston Red Sox World Series Win With Commemorative Can
- Sprite Empowers Young Voices With ‘Get Vocal’ Platform